Sunday, December 7, 2008

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The vultures would come...
Current mood: grateful

A cute, little white dog with no human in sight, was running in the street on Monday. I opened my front door and whistled. He came bounding right on over and into my house.

Moe is his name. Thankfully Moe has tags with an address and home phone number on them. I left a phone message with Moes family in the morning and upon hearing it in late afternoon, the children who live with Moe came right over and picked him up.

Tuesday morning when Moe came running in my back door with muddy paws and legs, I realised he had taken a shining to us. He had dug himself out of his yard and raced over to our backyard. He spent all day with my children and the two others I care for on Tuesdays. I think they may have even dressed Moe up in a silk cape at one point and he definitely was in their 'falcon nest' for a good part of yesterday morning.

Tuesday evening when Moe was picked up by his 10 year old boy I was told that Moe had dug quite a hole and that they were doing some major reinforcing to make sure Moe was not able to escape again. No worries I thought. My dog is an escape artist too. She doesn't often feel inclined to escape unless I leave her in my brand new tent and go for a hike. (Nice hole Freyja! I am still pissed about that one, but what do you do when you go camping somewhere that dogs are not allowed on ANY trails?! Welcome to CA.)

It took Moe longer to dig out today. It was around noon when my next door neighbor's dog started to bark ferociously and incessantly. I just thought it was my cat being catty and strutting back and forth in front of my neighbor's dog taunting the poor thing. Continuous barking finally brought me to my back door and when I opened it in ran Moe. He was covered in mud from head to tail and was obviously proud of himself for escaping for a third day in a row.

Oh Moe...we don't live on an incredibly busy street, but cars are a reality. Sylvan suggested tht I tell Moe's owners to put him on a lead. "Mama, if Moe got run over then the vultures would come." So sad, so gruesome, so morbid...so funny.

Yeah, I laughed out loud at Sylvan's statement. Not having anything to do with the thought of Moes death, but realising the extent of Marlin Perkins' influence in our home (thank you Mutual of Omaha for bringing us Wild Kingdom and thank you Amazon for having it on a 7-DVD set.) It seems that Sylvan has an understanding that death very often equals life.

Oh wanderlust Moe. The grass is not always greener. Still doggie, you are welcome at our house any day, just please look both ways.

No comments: