Sunday, December 7, 2008

Monday, March 17, 2008

Monday, March 17, 2008

Where did I learn my English?
Current mood: head-achey with lots to do

Oh yeah, it was Cass Valley North.

My high school was so breezy academically speaking that it makes my head spin now that I have the task of raising my own children and choosing their paths of education. I now understand why my parents pulled me out of my rural class "B" bubble of a school and sent me to one they felt would challenge me more intellectually. Ahhh gasp...private parochial school when I was 15?? I had my license and a car, a choice of three different places to sleep each night, and access to a manipulative part of myself that was mainly concerned with asserting my own independence. Two things stick out in my memory from this one year I attended Shanley in Fargo. First, many Catholic students are gleeful rule-breakers. Second, I learned that any kind of organised religion would not be fitting into my beliefs.

Ahhh, but I really don’t have the time to go into that right at this moment and am writing this blog for Ames. Her e-mail and then my re-reading of the update I wrote today (Georgia is going to go....) reminded me of the evil trick we played on our hearing impaired English teacher at CVN.

We only had 18 people in our class and most of the roles were well defined. So the usual trouble-makers would wait for the right moment to set the clock ahead at least 10 minutes or more. Then when it would be time for the bell to usually ring someone would shout "BELL" and we would all get up and head out the door. Oh, what adventures we could have with ten extra minutes of free time between classes. It took a surprisingly long time for our English teacher to realise we were taking advantage of her.

May you all recall one funny high school memory today as well.

gk

Currently listening :
Beat That My Heart Skipped
By Dan & Scroobius Pip Le Sac
Release date: By 17 September, 2007

9:22 AM - 2 Comments - 2 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove -

bonny

On the organized religion and education:
I think you are 100% correct. I believe religion instills the fear in children to do what is right, not the REASONING behind what is good and wrong. Instilling fear in a child to do 'good unto others' will not last into their actual 'intellectual development' so to speak.
An understanding of WHY WE (They) make the CHOICE to do as they do and to understand the consequences of the here and now, how those consequences will effect not only them but those they interact upon. Not of the 'when you go to the afterlife'...
Raising a child in these times is a monumental feat. I applaud you and know that your children will be considerate and conscientious. Traits in my mind that no religion can define or provide.
As for my thoughts on schooling.
I was so lucky to be 'stuck' in an experimental "pod" school. All kids were pretty much grouped together and those were gifted were expected to help those that needed help.
We were in advanced classes, but also had group classes where everyone worked together and even as a young child I had a basic understanding of a 'oneness'. It was a remarkable experience now that I look back.

Posted by bonny on Mar 30, 2008 10:09 PM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Amy

oh gk...this makes me chuckle! what could we have become had we had those extra minutes of english! i imagine i would be a nuclear physicist (sp?)...lmao! now i know why all the guys in our class had time to get bj's in the bathroom next to the english room!

Posted by Amy on May 15, 2008 6:38 AM

No comments: