Sunday, December 7, 2008

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Connection
Current mood: blessed

My son Sylvan will be six in September. Some of his sayings are:

*You are NOT in charge of my body! (Like tonight before bed when he wanted to put a tatoo on his arm and I said no because I didn't feel like being the referee that would have been needed to negotiate which tatoo he was having and which one Talia was having.

*I do not like you teaching me about things. (This comes up when I give him a plain definition of something, try to over-explain a process, or whenever I just get too heady. He craves stories, puppet shows, and movement.

*He uses ALWAYS and NEVER repeatedly all thru the day. (Such as--Why is my life soooo hard? Talia never gets hurt and I always fall down.)
Which is absolutely not true. In fact one day to prove my point I asked Sylvan to keep track of how many times he cried in a day and how many times she cried in that same day. When we counted up each side Sylvan had cried four times and Talia seventeen. He just said, "Oh," in a deflated sort of voice.

There is no one in this world who can make me feel like my dear son. He can flip my anger into sweetness or calm into rage with the flick of his voice. He picks me a bouquet of flowers and fresh berries everyday. He begs me to try a garden tomato all summer long insisting that this year I will learn to like tomatos, and then falls down laughing when I spit it out.

And tonight at bedtime after Talia had already fallen asleep he took my hand in his and told me with his utmost serious voice, "Mama, let's hold hands to remind ourselves that we will always be connected. And even when you are in the airplane flying to Alaska we will still be connected with a tiny string that is infinity long from my heart to yours."

Those edges around my heart that have a tendency of hardening just by being a human in our world melted right away, and I told him so. He asked if my heart was like a pile of snow and he was like a match.
"More like a torch," I said. And he giggled and asked me to tickle him with my voice.

I will confess that this was a lovely ending to a contrived day and reinforced my faith that all is as it should be. Love and light...

Currently listening :
Mermaid Avenue Vol. II
By Billy Bragg & Wilco
Release date: By 2000-05-30

8:41 PM - 2 Comments - 4 Kudos - Add Comment - Edit - Remove -

bonny

G-
What a wonderful approach to teaching behavioral insight to your children.
We are starting up our smoking cessation clinic on that same approach. Insight into one's own behaviors. Too bad I am the rogue pharmacist who believes that intuitiveness of one's own behavior can have a greater effect on well-being and understanding than the pill fix.
He seems to have his Momma's gift for knowledge and insight at such a young age.
You are truly an inspiration to mothers (and friends).
Love you!

Posted by bonny on Jun 19, 2008 8:52 AM
[Remove] [Reply to this]


Scott

That's just like you, too heady ;)

Posted by Scott on Jul 31, 2008 5:58 AM

No comments: