Sunday, December 7, 2008

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Restless Leg Syndrome

..>..>..>..> ..> ..>..> ..> ..>..>..>..>..>

Yes, I love picking on RLS. I can't recall who I offended during my summer travels calling RLS bullshit. The first time I came across an ad in a magazine describing RLS I thought it was a farce. I thought I was reading a Times Magazine version of The Onion. I ripped the page out as I was in a doctors office. I thought it was hilarious. A few days after that my mom was listening to me rant about RLS over the phone when she told me with a laugh that my step-dad had it.

I could not belive it was a real thing. This particular symptom elicits an eye-roll and head shake from me:

..>..>..>..> ..> ..>..>..>..>..>

An overwhelming urge to move around

Getting up and moving around can relieve the discomfort

I wonder if the Native Americans ever experienced RLS? Or any indigenous people in their own land eating their traditional diet.

I think RLS has become a symbol in my mind of soooo many things in our culture that are sour.

My cynical mind thinks of RLS like this: Oh so you feel like moving uncotrollably. Well what did you do all day. SIT? Did you walk to and from your car a few times. What did you eat? A few white flour, white sugar, corn syrup-y concotions that our bodies do not know even know what to do with and can't propely digest.

Under the treatment tips for RLS the only diet modification it suggests is to cut out caffeine, alcohol, and tobacco. At least they suggest moving during the day to help curb your bodies desire to move at night.

I HAVE to include the pharmaceutical drugs that are often prescribed for RLS sufferers. These are not light drugs. I am astounded.

Medications for Treating Restless Legs Syndrome

Type of Medication

Details

Dopaminergic agents
Examples: Ropinirole, Pramipexole

Often, this is the first line of treatment for RLS. Normally used to treat Parkinson's Disease. These increase the brain chemical dopamine, a neurotransmitter that regulates muscle movements.

Benzodiazepines

These are sleep medications, or central nervous system depressants, which also suppress muscle contractions.

Non-benzodiazepine sedatives

Short-acting hypnotic agents, or sleeping pills. May be helpful for mild RLS that occurs primarily at bedtime.

Opiates / narcotics
Examples: (low-potency) Darvon, (high-potency) Percodan

Pain-killing and relaxing drugs that can suppress RLS in some people. Addictive and should be used only in low dosages.

Anticonvulsants
Example: gabapentin (Neurontin)

Drugs normally used to prevent seizures. These reduce muscle contractions for some people.

Hypertensive medications

Generally prescribed for high blood pressure.

Be cautious with your use of drugs. Drug ads may make sleep medications seem effective and safe, when they often work only slightly better than a placebo and cause more side-effects. Many drugs are approved based on very short-term studies, even though the medication may be prescribed for the long term (Consumer Reports onHealth, May 2007). Additionally, the Restless Legs Syndrome Foundation FAQs states that some medications may increase RLS symptoms under certain conditions, a condition called "augmentation."

I am also surprised by many people's nonchalant reaction to what I see as a serious problem. It's not RLS. What it IS is already written about from many different angles. Here are a few generic topic titles of my own choosing....

Big Pharmaceutical Companies, Couch Potato, Fear, Processed Food, Lack of Exercise, Our Food Sources, Corn and Corn Products in Everything, Rising Obesity in our Kids, TV and Video Games, Name Branding Children, Fear, Commercial Free Childhood...


No comments: